Protecting Your Business from Fraud
WIB has partnered with Master Your Card – a non-profit public education initiative – to provide members with practical information and guidance on electronic payment processing.
Here is a short video from Master Your Card in which you will learn more about how fraud awareness and the use of the latest technology can protect your business. The video highlights four steps you can take to ensure protection – prevention, prediction, detection and resolution.
WIB Requests Legislative Support for REINS Act
Last week, State Representative Adam Neylon (R-Pewaukee) and State Senator Devin LeMahieu (R-Oostburg) asked their legislative colleagues for support of an omnibus state government regulatory reform proposal that they have dubbed the “Wisconsin Regulations in Need of Scrutiny (REINS) Act.”
Yesterday, a group of business-oriented advocacy organizations, including WIB, sent a memo to all members of the Wisconsin State Legislature asking them to co-sponsor this proposed legislation.
In brief, the Wisconsin REINS Act:
- Empowers the Wisconsin State Legislature to hold state government agency bureaucrats accountable for the regulations they write. Under this proposal, the most expensive rules – those that will cost $10 million or more to implement – would need approval from the full Legislature to move forward;
- Gives the Wisconsin State Legislature the ability to request independently-prepared economic impact analysis for proposed regulations. This reform will help ensure accuracy and will make certain that state government agencies, state lawmakers and the general public understand the true financial impact that new regulations will have on our state’s economy; and
- Empowers the Wisconsin State Legislature to require state government agencies to hold public hearings before they begin drafting a new regulation. Currently, state government agencies are only required to hold a public hearing after a draft regulation has already been written. This reform would make sure that for comprehensive new regulations, the public gets to weigh in at the front-end of the process.
Enactment of the Wisconsin REINS Act is one of our top public policy priorities for the 2017-2018 legislative session. A long list of legislative co-sponsors enhances our chances of success.
Governor Delivers State of the State Address
Last Tuesday, Governor Walker delivered his seventh State of the State Address to a Joint Session of the Wisconsin State Legislature. This annual speech provided the Governor with a forum to outline his public policy priorities for 2017. They include:
- Increase funding for public education;
- Reduce tuition for all Wisconsin undergraduates throughout the UW System;
- Continue to streamline state government to make it more effective and accountable to the people of Wisconsin;
- Additional state funding to expand broadband access to rural communities;
- Additional state funding for road repair and maintenance; and
- Approval from the federal government to allow the State of Wisconsin more control over the administration and operation of entitlement programs.
These are laudable goals. WIB will be lobbying for additional state funding to expand broadband access and more state funding for road repair and maintenance. We are glad to have the Governor on our side on these two issues.